Bails or Bail Pulls – pulls that hang or drop when left alone and are attached to the furniture at two points (with two posts).

Bin Pull – bin pull, sometimes called cup pull, is a term for a popular type of drawer handle that resembles a bin or a cup when viewed upside down. There is no mention of this term in the old hardware catalogs, which leads us to conclude that the name is relatively recent and derives from the shape and not the function of the pulls.

Die-cast – a process whereby the mold is made of metal parts that can be locked together to form the cavity where the molten brass is poured. When the metal has cooled down the mold parts are unlocked and separated to remove the piece.

Escutcheons – keyhole covers.

Escutcheon Plates – elongated door trim plates, usually rectangular, but can also have fancy shapes.

Mission, Craftsman,  Arts & Crafts – we use these terms interchangeably to denote that furniture period.

Pulls and Handles – in our usage here pulls are bails hanging or dropping down when not in use, whereas handles are rigid and stand out from the surface.

Reproduction Hardware – newly made hardware in antique styles meant to replace broken or damaged hardware on old or antique furniture or in old houses.

Restoration Hardware – same as Reproduction Hardware.

Rosettes – round back plates, usually small.

Roses – larger round back plates, usually used with doorknobs.

Ring Pulls – pulls that are shaped like a circle and attached to the furniture at one point.

Sand-cast Brass – hardware formed by pouring molten metal into sand molds with cavities that have been given the required shapes by metal tooling. This is the age-old method of casting brass that is still used for most of our cast products.

Stamped Brass – hardware formed by pressing a die into a (relatively) thin brass sheet.

Teardrop Pulls – pulls that are shaped like a teardrop and attached to the furniture at one point.

Wrought Brass – same as stamped brass. An old term, not much used nowadays. We use it to indicate  a heavy stamped brass made from a brass sheet of higher gauge.